Friday, February 11, 2011

Literature Magazine Contest??!

So today in English class we were writing poems. Our teacher showed us an example of a poem called 'Winter Days' and told us each to write a poem in the same format as the one she showed. So I decided to write a poem about my Daddy. The poem is called 'Best Day'. The poem is about this one night where to power went out and my Daddy and I were snuggling on the couch just talking about life. We had lit over 20 candles ALL around the room we were in. It's one of my favorite memories I have of us two. So this is the poem.


'Best Day'
Dark room, powers out
A father and daughter 
Snuggle together
On the couch
Candles lit
All around
Blocking out the reality
That this night could
end
Leaving a once happy daughter alone.


So there is my poem I wrote. When I finished, I went up to show my teacher, to ask for some advice to fix it or make it better and to see if I had written it in the right format. While she read it she cried.. Then she asked me to write it on the board to show everyone.  So I wrote it on the board and she read it to the entire class. As she read it, the class was completely silent. If you had dropped a needle on the carpet, you would have heard it. When she finished reading it she looked at me and said... "Ali, I think I'm going to enter it into the Literature Magazine Contest." I personally didn't even think it was that great because I whipped it out in about 30 seconds, but apparently she liked it! So there it is, my poem is being entered to be published in a magazine. If I by chance happened to win the contest, it would be really awesome because it would look really good on my college application. So, there's my story for the day!! (: Hopefully I win!

No comments:

Post a Comment