Sunday, June 12, 2011

Dear Diabetes:

Dear Diabetes-
I NEED A VACATION.
I need a vacation from you, and all you entail.
I need a vacation from the blood sugar testing; the carb counting, the bolusing, the temporary basal rates of it all.
I need a vacation from blood sugar testing- Oh wait, I already mentioned that. But since I test my sugars between 10 and 15 times a day- I’ll mention it again.
My fingers and I need a break from the continual blood sugar testing!
I need a vacation from my infusion set’s getting caught on doorknobs.
I need a vacation from the unexplained highs and the unexplained lows.
I need a vacation from the stares….and the glares from the Food Police.
I need a vacation from the anxiety you bring with you to my world every single day your in it.
I need a vacation from the planning you require of me- every single time I walk out the door.
I need a vacation from continually having to consider you, whenever I try and plan my day-to-day living.
I need a vacation from the quadruple checking to make sure I have all your Diabetes paraphernalia including but not limited to: spare batteries, testing supplies, backup testing supplies, backup infusion sets, insulin, glucose tabs, & extra food “just in case” you decide to head south.
I need a vacation from being “tethered” to my plastic pancreas.
I wonder what it would be like to spend even 1 day with a pancreas that was fully functional?
I need a vacation from you Diabetes.
And I can never take one, because you are with me - ALWAYS.
I accept that- because ignoring you won’t make you go away.
Ignoring you would mean you’d win- and that will never happen.
I own you- and I’m in charge of our day to day of it all- NOT YOU.



No comments:

Post a Comment